New Solutions Expand Automated, Self-Service, and Data-Driven Capabilities for Clients and Announce New Development Partners
REMOTE WORKSPACES EVERYWHERE — March 22, 2021 — Today at ONE21, NBCUniversal unveiled its new technology and data offerings coming to market via One Platform and invited partners to join and co-develop key capabilities.
First launched in 2020, One Platform is the tech stack of NBCUniversal’s Global Advertising & Partnerships business. The expansions outlined at ONE21 build on the company’s mission to create a more automated, more self-service, more data-driven future for partners, helping advertisers meet their key KPIs and create real business impact while making the entire process of reaching the right consumers at scale — from audiences to planning to delivery to measurement — as simple as turning on the screen on the wall. From new partnerships to new products, these milestones in the One Platform technology roadmap illustrate the company’s ongoing commitment to more secure and streamlined methods for buying, planning, and measuring advertising across premium video — with much more to come.
NBCU AUDIENCE INSIGHTS HUB
Doubling down on its commitment to building an open marketplace, NBCUniversal is ushering in a new era of data interoperability and partnership with privacy solutions in mind. Later this year, the company will be launching the NBCU Audience Insights Hub, a proprietary data clean room environment that will unlock data interoperability between NBCU and its partners. With this new solution, NBCUniversal will feed its first-party audience data, which will enable partners to run restricted, permissioned queries across the two data sets without exposing any underlying personally identifiable information. From privacy to scale to speed, no other media company can offer an open solution like the NBCU Audience Insights Hub.
The data interoperability provided by the NBCU Audience Insights Hub will power several new, first-to-market self-service capabilities across all of One Platform’s key components, including:
- Digital audience exploration: In NBCUniversal’s new centralized clean room environment, partners will be able to explore how audiences and customers overlap, providing valuable aggregate insights without any underlying data exposed from either party. This will enable brand and agency partners to better find and understand their customers to drive results while keeping viewer information safe.
- Cross-platform planning: NBCUniversal will combine the new clean room environment with its proprietary Linear TV APIs, giving partners self-service access, for the first time ever, to NBCUniversal’s aggregate linear and digital data — all the necessary ingredients needed for cross-platform media planning — in one integration.
- Reach & frequency measurement: The new hub will incorporate certified reach measurement models, which will enable partners to utilize ad exposure data and conduct their own analyses, providing the ability to deduplicate campaign reach and frequency for more efficient media planning and measurement.
- Cross-platform attribution: NBCUniversal will continue to extend its interoperable measurement capabilities, enabling partners to conduct their own self-service multi-platform attribution. In the long-term, this will unlock always-on closed-loop attribution capabilities for every campaign.
The NBCU Audience Insights Hub is launching with two leading development partners – cloud computing platform Snowflake will power the initial clean room framework and VideoAmp will be the first measurement partner to integrate — with more in the pipeline.
As a part of the company’s long-term commitment to and investment in creating a unified data strategy for partners to tap into, NBCUniversal is developing NBCU ID. NBCU ID will bring together the organization’s first-party audiences — from NBCU’s Entertainment, Sports, News to Hispanic brands; from linear to OTT to mobile and desktop; from Peacock to Fandango to Universal Parks & Resorts — to create a 360-degree profile of consumers under a single, deterministic ID with privacy in mind.
NBCU ID will improve the user experience for consumers and partners alike. Containing both proprietary first-party insights collected by NBCUniversal and acting as a high-fidelity match key for all second and third-party data sets brought to One Platform, NBCU ID will help inform cross-platform planning and measurement use cases while driving personalization for viewers across all screens.
PEACOCK TAKES FLIGHT ON ONE PLATFORM, PROGRAMMATIC & CROSS-PLATFORM
NBCUniversal is proud to empower partners to activate their campaigns however works best for their business, and in 2021 it’s expanding with Peacock. As the company continues to scale programmatic enablement, NBCUniversal is now bringing these capabilities to Peacock, embracing data-driven and automated activation with key DSP partners on the leading ad-supported streaming platform.
When it comes to planning, partners will now also be able to extend their unified cross-platform plans onto Peacock. This new capability will enable marketers to reach even more incremental audiences on streaming. In addition, advertisers have the option to target any kind of incremental audience, whether it’s a Nielsen demo or a custom segment, including segments sourced from a brand’s own CRM data. With each of these expansions, NBCUniversal is offering more self-service solutions and more data-driven planning across even more content.
ONE PLATFORM CONTINUES TO SCALE WITH FREEWHEEL’S CERTIFIED PARTNER PROGRAM
NBCUniversal’s One Platform is built for and with partners of all kinds, and FreeWheel is no exception. That’s why, at ONE21, FreeWheel unveiled their plans to launch the FreeWheel Certified Partner Program. Focused on ensuring the interoperability that the future of television needs, the program aims to work across the ecosystem to more optimally integrate with partners across technology, data, demand, and supply – including One Platform. From simplifying the ability for buyers to plug in to One Platform, to providing greater access to third-party premium inventory, to optimization and decisioning, FreeWheel and NBCUniversal are continuing to collaborate, and are setting the bar and the pace for the entire industry.
TRADE DESK PROGRAMMATIC PARTNERSHIP FURTHER EXPANDS ACROSS ONE PLATFORM
Programmatic offers partners of all sizes a simple way to reach their key audiences across NBCUniversal. That’s why NBCUniversal is enabling even more programmatic on One Platform, in partnership with The Trade Desk. From access to live streaming inventory across major sporting events to global inventory from CNBC International, more must-see programming moments from around the world will be available through programmatic.
NBCUNIVERSAL’S ONE PLATFORM CONTINUES TO SOAR
The company also shared new proof points for NBCUniversal’s One Platform core components. These include:
- SCALE: One Platform gives partners access to the more than 230 million U.S. adults 18+ who give their time and their trust to NBCUniversal each month as they engage with NBCU’s content on 14 networks across linear TV, CTV and over 300 unique digital access points. With the shift towards streaming, CTV and other digital platforms now account for 30% of total consumption among key audiences, allowing marketers to double their incremental reach using digital — increasing from 20% to 40% in just two years. This growth provides marketers who leverage NBCUniversal’s cross-platform optimization capabilities with an unparalleled opportunity to reach their key audiences at scale.
- AUTOMATION: One Platform’s automation of the digital RFP process, in collaboration with Operative, Mediaocean, and a consortium of other major media companies and agencies, is targeting to reduce digital workflows by up to 50%, or 15 hours, per campaign. And using NBCUniversal’s Linear TV APIs, PremiumMedia360 is automating NBCU’s TV pre- and post-log reporting, reducing manual account management work by as much as 30%.
- EFFECTIVENESS: One Platform’s data-driven approach has proven its impact across the board, with advanced targeted campaigns delivering brand awareness lift as high as +19%, site visitation lift as high as +27%, and foot traffic and sales lift as high as +19%.
# # #
ONE21 is NBCUniversal’s take on what happens when a developer conference meets the magic of media and entertainment.
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a premium ad-supported streaming service. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.