What’s new for 2023
Learn more about how we’re scaling and expanding our One Platform capabilities across each of our four pillars.
Data & Identity
NBCUnified, our enterprise data and identity platform, does exactly what the name implies: it unifies the vast first-party consumer data sets from across NBCU to enable best-in-class targeted and personalized consumer experiences. It’s how we know who our consumers are, what they want, and how to best serve them, and it supercharges the first step of your One Platform campaigns: identifying your target audiences. With over 200 million permissioned first-party NBCU IDs, NBCUnified helps you find your audiences with higher fidelity and less waste than ever before.
This year, we’ll continue adding more ways to integrate your audiences with ours for insights, activation, and measurement through agency partner platforms, new programmatic channels, and additional measurement and attribution partners.
See the full list of 2023 updates:
- Fan-based attributes and insights at scale – Beginning in Q1, you’ll able to leverage thousands of first-party data attributes that define NBCU superfans across the NBCUniverse—from the content they consume to the movie tickets they buy to their travel experiences at our parks and resorts. It marks the latest evolution of our first-party data, and the fullest expression of what people love about this unique platform and our content. This new flood of fan data will be added to our consumer profiles and tied directly to each NBCU ID. And through privacy-minded integrations via what we’re now calling NBCUnified Access—including data clean room integrations—you’ll be able to generate unique insights between your audiences and ours and even build your own audiences leveraging our attributes—all without ever exposing underlying data on either side.
- Expanding data interoperability – Whether it’s a proprietary integration with a major holding company platform, a data clean room integration with a leading measurement provider, or a crosswalk with a third-party data spine, we’re building interoperability into everything we do. And we’re excited to announce our latest agency partnership—with GroupM. Thanks to an NBCUnified Access data clean room integration with GroupM’s Choreograph platform, GroupM clients who work with Choreograph for audience building will be able to match and size those audiences against NBCU IDs in a privacy-minded manner and explore and analyze those audiences’ media and entertainment fandom. This will enable GroupM and their clients to generate new insights, build bigger and more performant audiences, and deliver measurable experiences in a way that the market has never seen before.
Activation & Automation
Once you’ve established your audience, the next step is to activate, optimize, and deliver your campaign. That’s where AdSmart comes in. You can buy direct from us, and we’ll find and deliver your high-value audiences wherever they are, with target delivery guaranteed. Or, if you prefer self-service, you can activate your own buys—across our linear networks through our proprietary programmatic linear APIs and across our Peacock Audience Extension (Peacock AX) streaming portfolio through your demand-side platform (DSP) of choice thanks to our integration with FreeWheel’s Programmatic Module.
This year, we’re scaling cross-platform multi-currency activations with new and upgraded technology that will enable you to plan, buy, optimize, post, and bill on the currency of your choice. In addition, we’re continuing to democratize access to our premium streaming content for businesses of all sizes.
See the full list of 2023 updates:
- Expanded multi-currency pre-flight optimization – Core to One Platform is flexibility—to buy however you want to buy, on whatever currency makes the most sense for your business. Last year, we certified iSpot as a new cross-platform currency; this year, we’re adding VideoAmp to the mix. This means you can now choose between five different currencies for your data-driven linear and cross-platform campaigns: Comcast, Comscore, Nielsen AMRLD, iSpot, and VideoAmp. That’s flexibility at scale.
- Multi-currency in-flight optimization – Another promise of One Platform is fluidity across screens, and we’re delivering on that promise like never before. Thanks to a first-of-its-kind, start-of-the-art universal ad optimizer co-developed with Amazon Web Services (AWS), we’re bringing multi-currency in-flight optimization to linear TV—for the first time ever! This means our linear TV log scheduler will act more like a digital ad server, using forecast data from iSpot and VideoAmp to optimize TV spots to the precise second where there is the highest concentration of your audience, whether it’s a demo or advanced audience. This will effectively eliminate the need for outdated dayparts and show-by-show planning once and for all, resulting in more precise delivery, less liability, and better results! And on the streaming side, our partners at FreeWheel are launching new APIs that will unlock real-time multi-currency optimization and in-flight pacing against iSpot, VideoAmp, and more.
- Multi-currency workflow automation – Last year, we partnered with Salesforce and Mediaocean to bring you the first-ever automated RFPs for linear TV. This year, that automation is scaling across linear and streaming and on multiple currencies, with Mediaocean launching support for planning, posting, and billing in time for the start of the new broadcast year on multiple currencies—including iSpot and VideoAmp.
- Scaling programmatic access to Peacock live events – Small and mid-sized companies and agencies can now compete with more traditional TV buyers to reach millions of live viewers across the Big Ten Conference, Premier League, Sunday Night Football, and more than 30 live events on Peacock every month! Programmatic access to premium live events is currently available via our DSP integrations with The Trade Desk and OneView by Roku. Integrations with additional DSPs, including Amazon, Beeswax, Display & Video 360, Yahoo, and Xandr are coming soon.
- Full launch of Peacock Ad Manager – For small to medium-sized businesses who don’t have an existing DSP relationship, we’re officially launching Peacock Ad Manager, our turnkey self-service ad buying platform. With precision audience targeting, tracking against your KPIs, and real-time performance measurement, all in an easy-to-use interface, this new platform will help you evolve beyond search and social to CTV advertising on the fastest-growing streaming platform. Sign up to be among the first to know when Peacock Ad Manager launches later this year.
With our suite of advanced ad products—from our shoppable innovations that transform content into commerce to our diverse ad formats on Peacock that provide interactivity, utility, and value to consumers—we deliver personalized and memorable ad experiences that resonate with consumers, help your brand stand out from the crowd, and drive measurable impact for your brand. And we do it at scale!
See the full list of 2023 updates:
- Must ShopTV on Peacock and Xfinity – Powered by KERV Interactive, which scans and identifies products that match content, Peacock viewers will be served the exact or similar products within the One Platform Commerce Marketplace, all purchasable using their remote on Peacock or Comcast Xfinity.
- Launch of NBCU’s Retail Media Extension Network – Brands of any size can connect to audiences from CitrusAd’s data within a self-service suite of contextually relevant shoppable native ad placements called NBCU’s Retail Media Extension Network, which is launching with Verishop brands and powered by NBCU Checkout.
- NBCU Checkout licensing pilot with The Daily Mail – In a first-of-its-kind licensing deal, DailyMail.com will run a pilot of NBCUniversal Checkout to enable readers to seamlessly purchase products without disruption, further proving the impact of uniting content, viewers, and shopping into one interactive experience.
- Peacock In-Scene Ads launching with TripleLift – We’ve named TripleLift as our launch partner to power In-Scene Ads, enabling marketers to digitally insert brands—2D signage and 3D product placement—directly into content during post-production. This innovation utilizes data to create a more dynamic experience for advertisers and a more personalized experience for viewers at scale.
- New behind-the-scenes Peacock Watch With Sponsorship – Exclusive to Peacock, this new user experience will empower marketers to take fans behind the scenes of their favorite content, with stars, directors, and producers providing commentary and answering live questions—coming soon with Season 2 of Bel-Air
- Scaling ad innovations across Peacock’s live sports – We’re doubling down on Peacock’s live sports offering as a competitive differentiator and investing in new out-of-pod units that will expand our burgeoning Sports Suite. This includes extending the new Highlight Ad beyond Premier League, launching the data-driven and interactive Peacock Frame Ad, and supercharging familiar formats like lower thirds with the power of technology to further craft a unique viewing experience for sports fans across Peacock’s 20 sports leagues.
After your One Platform campaign has fully delivered, we calculate the final reach across platforms on the currency of your choice and provide you with insights into the impact of your campaign against your business objectives. In 2022, we officially rolled out our NBCU Certified Measurement Partner Program, the first of its kind from a major media company, and we’re doubling down on our commitment to the multi-currency future with census-based measurement of your ads in near real-time, unduplicated reach and frequency across platforms, granular second-by-second cross-screen ad performance, and performance beyond delivery.
New this year, we’re introducing a Content Quality sub-category for measurement that unites reach and resonance, and we’re announcing additional certifications across several measurement categories, bringing the total certifications to 38 across our measurement framework.
See the full list of 2023 updates:
- Content Quality Index – We’ve worked with leading analytics provider MarketCast to develop a Content Quality Index that isolates the contribution of network and platform in driving ad resonance. This metric is meant to be used by currency providers to produce weighted content quality reach metrics that should be used as input for media allocation and optimization tools. Integrating this metric into planning and optimization systems will enable NBCU to demonstrate how much more efficient our premium content is in building quality reach versus competitors like YouTube.
- New currency certifications – We’ve certified VideoAmp as a cross-platform currency for advanced audiences and expanded our certification of iSpot to include person-level advanced audiences in addition to demographics. To see our full list of certified partners, visit our measurement certification website.
- New certifications across three additional categories – We’ve certified 27 measurement partners across three additional categories on our measurement framework: Brand Measurement, Incrementality/Sales Impact Measurement, and Multi-Touch Attribution. To see our full list of certified partners, visit our measurement certification website.