New York, NY – November 23, 2023 — This Thanksgiving Day, NBCUniversal kicked off the holiday season as the #1 destination for viewers and advertisers ahead of the biggest shopping weekend of the year.
Iconic Programming Breaks Records:
- “The 97th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade” was the most-watched parade ever.
- “The National Dog Show Presented by Purina” drew the biggest audience since 2021.
- NBC Sports’ presentation of the San Francisco 49ers-Seattle Seahawks matchup ranks as the 2nd most-watched Thanksgiving primetime NFL matchup ever, averaging 26.4 million viewers.
- Full release here
Brands Experience Immediate Impact of Advertising:
*Key metrics include:
- Advertisements within NBCU’s iconic Thanksgiving weekend programming reached nearly 80M total linear viewers in English and in Spanish, dominating the ad ecosystem during the busiest shopping weekend of the year, with NBC network leading the charge and topping all broadcast and streaming competitors.
- NBC’s Thanksgiving primetime NFL matchup between the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks outperformed all broadcast and streaming NFL games of the weekend by double digits across all key advertising performance metrics, including Ad Memorability, Message Memorability, Brand Memorability and Ad Likeability.
- The “97th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade” delivered +100% stronger ad message memorability and +50% brand memorability and likeability for brands than standard advertisements across competitive broadcasters.
- Advertisements during the “The National Dog Show Presented by Purina” generated significant lifts in memorability, with +78% greater message memorability and +64% lift in brand memorability than standard advertisements. Viewers were 2X more likely to search for advertised brands vs. the average competitive broadcast program.
- Advertisements running in NBC’s Thanksgiving programming generated a nearly 60% greater likelihood to search vs. advertisements in programming on competitive broadcast networks, driving immediate results for brands.